CONVERSION OF THE CA L’ESCAPÇAT STEAMER AS PRIMARY SCHOOL. SABADELL.
- Intervention level: Scheme Design, Detail Design and Site Supervision.
- Client: Sabadell City Council, Department of Education, Government of Catalonia.
- Location: Barcelona
- Project Year: 1989
- Construction Period: 1991 – 1994
- Total built: 4.980 m2
- Budget: 2.474.965,62 €
- Construction company: Construccions Juanes
- Other technical: - Josep M. Oller, technical architect. Execution Director.
- Manuel Comas, engineer, installations consultancy.
- Robert Brufau, architect, structures consultancy.
- Publications: Construction Reports Vol. 49 - Nº 450 (1997).
Eduardo Torroja Institute. National Research Council. Madrid.
- Awards: BonaPlanta Awards – Sixth Edition (1997).
From needs program provided by the Service Project DG and Investment Architecture School has rehabilitated the old "Vapor Ca l'Escapçat" for reuse as Primary School, premises that make this building a living example of the architectural heritage-industrial Catalan early twentieth century.
The powerful structural arrangement, the image of large container manufacturing, the constant visual reference to the urban center where it is located, character and emblem that the presence of steam chimney determines, the austere and simple concept in the treatment space and a adjusted and innovative study and calculation of its structural elements, among others have made, the process adopted in its specificity and resolution, materials, textures, itineraries, relationships, had to participate continuously in the guidelines under the same model, in an attitude of support and dialogue.
infant and primary education
Graduate / I+D+I
Primary care centers
Nursing homes / day centers
single family house