GAIA BUILDING. Terrasa. Competition. 1st Place.
- Intervention level: Scheme Design, Detail Design and Site Supervision.
- Client: Polytechnic University of Catalonia.
- Location: Barcelona
- Competition Year: 2006
- Project Year: 2006
- Construction Period: 1st phase: 2007 – 2008, 2nd phase: 2009, 3third phase: 2010- 10' 2012
- Total built: 7.247,32 m2
- Budget: 10.617.861,40 €
- Construction company: 1st Phase: TEYCO, 2nd Phase: SEROM, 3rth Phase: IMAGA - EXCOVER
- Other technical: - Enric Peña, Technical architect. Economic consultancy, Execution Director.
- Luis Alfredo Rodríguez, Engineer of roads, canals and ports. Structures consultancy.
- Lluis Duart, Industrial engineer. Installations consultancy.
- Pedro Pegenaute, Photography.
- Awards: Competition, 1st Place.
A research center, for their functional specificity, requires some concrete lines of action to improve the exchange of information. A production of all research system must contribute an architectural design which are involved all the main actors, institutions, researchers, educators, management, technical, etc.., This service targets, quality and product under investigation are brought together and the reference architecture becomes neutral and balanced.
This building is attached to the university campus in Terrassa. This campus was launched in early twentieth century with the old industrial textile schools as an embryo, is now a place of knowledge at the center of the city.
A figure longitudinal split in two bodies of different heights connected by a transverse floor as a hall / multipurpose space, shapes and articulates the final volumetry.
The building is committed to the ISOTROPY in response to requests of this type of centers that require continuity in the spaces, MODULARITY to allow substitution and adaptation to new requirements of the program and the HOMOGENEITY in the distribution inside the center based on the articulation and interrelation of access, cores and itineraries.
infant and primary education
Graduate / I+D+I
Primary care centers
Nursing homes / day centers
single family house